Servings: 8 to 10 servings
- 3 pounds apples, peeled and quartered (use an assortment - Golden Delicious, Honeycrisp, Fuji, Macintosh)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- juice from half of a lemon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeded
- pinch sea salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, cut into pieces
Step 1Preheat oven to 425°F. Add apples, water, brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla bean, and salt to roasting pan. Add butter pieces to the top of apples.
Step 2Roast until apples are very soft, about 30 to 40 minutes.
Step 3Puree using food mill. Serve warm alongside roast pork.
Applesauce can be refrigerated in an airtight jar for 5 days.